A little about us

Hello and welcome to Mod Mob. A lifestyle blog by two childhood friends, Emma and Brenda. Both originally from Ireland, Emma currently lives in London and Brenda near Boston. We love to talk about food, style, travel, photography, kids, love, and design. If you like you can find out more in our about page and if you want you can drop us a line at modmobdesign@gmail.com.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Mod Mum: whats in a name ?


As you may already know I have recently moved with my husband and three boys aged 12, 8 and 18 months, from Ireland to the USA. One thing that struck me when we first moved here was that all kids address me as Mrs Mannion. It felt strange at first as children in Ireland usually call adults by their first names and my boys learned fast that this was no longer acceptable. 

I remember always addressing an adult by their last name, there were no first name options. That is how it was and we never questioned it.When did this change ? I don't rightly remember how it happened but by the time my children were going on play-dates, they were on a first name basis with the parents of their friends. It appears acceptable now. 

Did I miss something as a parent ? Should I have enforced that they used Mr. or Mrs. in order to show respect to the adult in question ? I know that growing up we respected adults because that is how were we raised, not because of what we called them. 

For me, I don't mind my children's friends calling me by my first name but yet I complain about some kids showing me a lack of respect. 

Do you think that this is something you should think about as a parent ?


6 comments:

  1. This is an interesting topic. I too remember always calling adults by Mr and Mrs. I don't know why it changed. I think it would be better if my kids addressed adults by their last name but sometimes people ask them to call them by their first. I do believe that this line between parents and adults has become blurred, maybe this is one of the reasons why !
    Melisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa,

      This happens here too, I say to some kids to call me Brenda and their parents ask me not to allow them to do that, so its a funny one alright.

      Delete
  2. I think its old fashioned for kids to call grown ups by their last names. My nieces and nephews all call grown ups by their first names and I think it sounds okay. I think it depends how kids are raised, if they are taught to show respect then they will, I don't think that this causes a lack of respect. Kids calling their parents by their first names now thats where its all wrong ! Orla O.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is weird, I never understood how some kids got to that place, it should always be mum or dad never have them call you by your first name.

      Delete
  3. Rule of thumb:
    Kids should only be on first-name terms with adults who are allowed to beat them.
    Hi Brenda!
    (Tony Fla)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony Fla,
      You are very bold.... now clear off !

      Delete

It's nice to be nice, that means you anonymous.